Tuesday, March 30, 2010

A Shout Out To Seniors

I love my senior clients. They are full of wisdom and they tell it like it is. You would think that when you hit a certain age, you should be able to eat anything you want. I wish that were so. How you eat is important at any age, but as we get older it's even more vital.

Unfortunately, eating well is not on the priority list as we get older. I hear this anthem over and over from senior women: "I cooked for 40 years and I'm tired of it, it's just easier to eat out." Wonder if I will say that one day? Mind you, I don't have a large family to cook for, so cooking for one to three people is not hard. Maybe I would feel differently if I had to cook for more than 3 every day. Anyway... as seniors become more carefree and leave their kitchens for restaurant meals, it really effects their health. Let's face it, you can't eat a meal out for less than 1500 mg of sodium - and that's just one meal out. I won't even bore you with the fat, cholesterol and additives in restaurant foods. Our "golden years" are supposed to be about relaxation, fun and adventure. That's not going to happen if you eat out constantly. It's no wonder that most of us have to take more medicine as we age. You can't blame every health problem on the aging process. What you put into your body and how active you are makes the biggest impact on your health. Think about that if you know a senior who has been put on a third blood pressure pill or a second diabetes pill. That could be less likely to happen if activity goes up and eating out goes down. Dare I even talk about the pot lucks????

No comments:

Post a Comment