Tuesday, March 9, 2010

In the dressing room

So I was in the dressing room at Old Navy (my fav inexpensive clothing store) several weeks ago. I overheard a mom and her daughter in the room next to me. The daughter was frustrated trying on clothes as everything seemed to be too small. Mom was doing her best to not upset her daughter. I was waiting for it... and then it happened. The daughter called herself the dreaded "fat" word and mom said what so many moms have said before - "You're not fat honey, I just want you to be healthy". What's wrong with that you ask? Nothing really. It's actually the word "healthy" that has started to bug me. When you tell your overweight child that you just want them to be healthy, don't you think that most kids, if they hear it enough will soon associate the word healthy with being thin. I'm not saying that we should call overweight kids fat by any means. It just seems that the word healthy gets thrown around a lot. There are a lot of thin kids that are not healthy. I just don't want kids to think that healthy means thin - because it doesn't. If the daughter decided that she would only eat salads to fit into clothes better, that would not be healthy. So, we are all worried about self esteem in our daughters. Maybe rather than saying "I just want you to be healthy" when discussing weight, how about a different approach. How about "Lets find you a better style and size of clothing." This could imply that its the clothes fault and not the daughters fault. You know what I mean? What do you think??

No comments:

Post a Comment