Friday, February 19, 2010

On Cooking

Isn't it funny how a long time ago, families would eat out when it was a special occasion. Today, it's the reverse. Eating at home has become a rare, special occasion. When I talk to people about cooking healthy, it seems that their eyes glaze over and I feel like I'm speaking a foreign language. Then they quite often give me the same argument about how buying healthy foods cost too much. Mind you - these are the very same people eating out almost everyday. I will argue that I can make a quarter pounder with cheese at home (using a more expensive extra lean ground beef)for a fraction of the cost compared to what they would pay at a fast food restaurant. And it will be lower in calories, fat and sodium.

I suppose I may have control issues (friends and family would heartily agree...) but I like to have more control of my food. (I mean - really, have you ever worked in a restaurant??? If you have, you know what I mean.) When I prepare food at home, I know what I'm getting (for the most part) and I'm positive that I can make it far healthier for less money. There's nothing worse than going out to eat and discovering that I could have made it better at home.

So why is cooking at home so daunting for people? Has the Food Network helped or has it made us feel more like inferior cooks? Recipe flops are great (really - how are you supposed to become a good cook without having some failures? You learn a lot from cooking mistakes.) So, I continue to try to get people back in the kitchen. If you have any ideas or inspirations, or if you have your own cooking stories please comment!

2 comments:

  1. Kellie,
    Because I have a love/hate relationship with eating out, this post really hit home and I've pondered awhile over your question, "why is cooking at home so daunting?" For me, it's not so much the cooking, it's the planning before the actual cooking takes place that is often the deal breaker. Throw in a dose of hectic schedule and I'm planning where we're going to eat instead of my menu for the week.
    One source that has recently become my "go to" for cooking at home is a little cookbook entitled, "Cooking Light Weeknight". Comfort food abounds with recipes like;Creamy Ham Casserole, Creamy Chicken and Rice Casserole, and Breakfast Sausage Casserole all of which contain a complete nutritional breakdown for those of us who are conscious about calories and/or carbs. I have utilized the "make ahead" section to make sure I have frozen entrees ready for hectic nights when we'd otherwise be tempted grab fast food.
    Thanks, Kellie, for taking time to blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment Mary Lynn! I love that you have found what works for you. Make ahead and left-overs are the best revenge for fast food. Thank you for sharing that!

    ReplyDelete