Friday, February 12, 2010

You Are Not Your Weight

I have never been a fan of the “weigh in”. I’ve resisted the weigh in procedure for clients and weight loss classes throughout the years. I gave into weighing people when I started the Weight Management Support Group. I finally accepted that people need to weigh in as a form of accountability – a way to stay on track and have a measureable goal. I get that, but I continue to struggle with it. Do you find it strange that a dietitian does not like to weigh people? It pains me to weigh someone when they know they haven’t lost weight. Or they are shocked and disappointed that the scale did not go in their favor. It’s also worrisome to me when someone loses a great deal of weight in one week. I worry that they starved too much and they will only gain it right back again. We seem to hang too much importance on the number on the scale.

What if we measured other things besides weight? It’s virtually impossible to measure energy level, and attitude when someone embarks on a healthy eating plan. It’s too subjective, but to me it’s important. People always report that they feel so much better when they eat healthier. That means more to me than the number on the scale. How you eat can totally determine your health and isn’t your overall health the most important thing? When you change your eating for the better, so many aspects of your life improve and with patience your weight will slowly improve as well.

Something occurred to me the other day. It seems like some people unfortunately associate their identities with the number on the scale. It’s as if they have a neon sign that says “I am my weight”. Here is what I think about that…

• You are not your weight
• Your weight should not determine or influence your mood and outlook for the day
• Your weight should not determine feast or famine
• Your weight should not provide a reason for reward or punishment
• Your weight is only a number – your attitude and self esteem is what counts
• Be kind to yourself – talk to yourself as you would a good friend
• Be mindful and caring about what you put into your body, not what your body does to you on the scale

I’ll continue to weigh people because it’s what they want. I just hope they know that it’s often not any better being on the other side of the scale.

2 comments:

  1. I love this, Kellie. It is so easy to get so wrapped up in the scale but you are so right...when you are making good eating choices and exercising, you feel great regardless of that number! Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this....sooo true. Thanks for the encouragment!

    ReplyDelete