Tuesday, February 9, 2010

When in Rome (or Arizona)

Just returned from sunny Arizona only to arrive to a winter wonderland. After cancelled flights and lost luggage, sorta wish I had stayed longer.
My belief when I go away on vacation is to eat like the locals. (If only I could have a job like Anthony Bourdain of No Reservations - Travel Channel.) Anyway on a much smaller scale, I like to eat foods that are local to the area. How could I pass up a dollop of fresh southwest guacamole served with nearly everything? Yes -everything. (Guac is great with eggs!) At a fabulous hotel brunch in Scottsdale I obtained their recipe for homemade guacamole. It looks easy enough.
2 avocados peeled & chopped, 1 diced onion, 2 diced tomatoes, 1 bunch chopped cilantro and 1/2 lime, juiced. For 4 servings, that's only 137 calories. Or for the more calorie conscience 8 servings for only 69 calories each. It's so simple!
And chorizo! It's a spanish sausage which I'm sure I've seen and eaten before, but never like this. Like guac, it's in so many dishes. It's an unusually good tasting sausage, but calorie-counters beware. One small ounce has 129 calories and 10 grams of fat. Perhaps at this point, I should add that I also ate a lot of fresh delicious fruit. Nothing compares to fruit that you can pick right off of a tree (thank you Aunt Kay!). My mid-western upbringing never afforded me the exposure of totally fresh fruit - wow, so good! Now I am longing for Arkansas spring strawberry season. With the snow right outside my window, think I will opt for soup instead. Bet some homemade guacamole would be good in my soup?

No comments:

Post a Comment