Wednesday, February 3, 2010

My new blogging adventure

I've been procrastinating for months about starting this blog. What's held me back? Naming this blog! So, after being asked (quite persistently, yet in a very nice way) by clients, members, friends, my boss in particular about when I will ever start that blog, I decided to just go for it. So, this is me going for it. (I totally welcome your comments and suggestions.)

Naming this blog has been hard because I really wanted the name to encompass "eating in the real world". Yes, I am a Registered Dietitian (RD) and RD's have to eat in the real world too. We are not perfect eaters (at least I'm not). I don't strive for perfection in my diet and neither should anyone else. I love healthy food, but it's important to me to always make room for butterfingers and ice cream.

I've been an RD for (OMG - I just did the math) - 22 years! That's a lot of nutrition and diet fads to live through. That's also a lot of clients I've seen through the years. I learned so much from my clients struggles and triumphs. It's been quite a ride. So many people have "food issues" and it's been disheartening to see how food in general has so many negative associations. I became a RD because well, I just think that food is wonderful! I love to cook food, shop for food, talk about food, watch food related shows and movies and most of all I love eating food!

(Wow - I'm really rambling on, so I should wrap it up and save more fodder for future blogs.) I guess you could say that I wanted to start this blog because I want people to feel good about food again. You can eat and feel good about food while also maintaining a healthy weight. This blog will be about eating in the real world. Oh sure it would be great to promote the virtues of a vegan diet, but lets get real! I'll be keeping it real and hopefully you might find some inspiration and new ideas, or maybe just feel less guilty about your eating. Wouldn't that be great?

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello
    Hi Kellie! I'm so glad you've started this...its long overdue:) I moved to Dallas...work for SMU - Southern Methodist University - still keep my portions under control, eat a lot of fruits and veggies - I looove soups, as u well know - I still eat desert and foods that I like that are not very healthy for you but very small portions....... and try to workout as much as I can.....I want to THANK YOU so very much for everything you do.
    Alina

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY!!! I am so excited that you are starting a blog! I think it will be great...I always love to hear what you have to say about food!

    ReplyDelete